you guys, my son left for spain yesterday. he’s gone until july 8th. *pout*
what am i gonna do with all this free time??
typically i get kinda lazy.
as soon as i’m a “single” person and can do whatever i want and don’t have to be anywhere or make dinner for anyone or be a MOM…my brain turns to mush. i eat cereal for dinner, the dirty clothes pile up, i catch up on a lot of tv, i sleep in til the last possible minute…wait…i always do those things. hmmmmm…maybe i should fly to vegas and party my ass off. now that’s what you do when your kid is out-of-town! (if only i could keep my eyes open past 1130…)
i really dug this get up when i left the house in the morning. but by the time i got home and started snapping pics…i was disappointed. ever have one of those days? the photos don’t turn out right, the outfit looks a little too disheveled and overall…you just look kinda haggard.
ah well. the only positive thing? my hair is kinda big. i think i was channeling amanda. woot!
i’m trying to find a good spot for etsy photos. in a previous post, i mentioned a great area in WrW’s loft, but it’s not very convenient for changing clothes. not only that, but it’s an open area and lots of peeps walk in and out. and as much as i like showing my naked body to strangers, he just moved in, so i’ll wait a few more weeks before i start walking to the trash room, topless.
you know, i’m kinda diggin the long skirts. i guess it’s “in” or about to be “in” or something like that. fyi…about me – i don’t read fashion magazines. i’m not up on what’s about to be HAUTE. so if the long skirt thing is about to get BIG…well then i guess i’m just that cool and accidentally fell into a possible trend. *shrug*
another thing you should know about me. i like long skirts and prefer them to shorter skirts and shorts because, well…i don’t like my legs. there, i said it. now you know. funny thing is…as “vain” as it may be for me to post pictures of myself on the internet, it has actually helped me get over that insecurity. and trust me…it hasn’t just been a small insecurity. for years now, i have worn jeans and pants in 100 degree weather because i don’t want people to see my little tree trunks, not to mention my friends have to hear this on a regular basis, “how do my legs look?”
so guess what ladies? i’m gonna rock the H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS out of long skirts this summer. and so should you.
i know what you’re thinking…”paige, i’m short. long skirts make me look shorter.” or maybe you’re thinking…”um, long skirts are too conservative and not sexy at all.”
well guess what? i’m barely 5’3 and…this little number got a lot of nice compliments.
so if you care to know, here are my tips for looking good in a long skirt:
1. choose a skirt that is 2 to 3 inches above the ankle. avoid floor length or ground skimming.
2. shoes – sandals are fine, but for a sexier, elongating look…wear wedges.
3. a high waist with a fuller skirt creates a flattering silhouette.
4. i would suggest a solid color skirt. patterns are fine too! but if you’re short, skip horizontal lines. look for chevron stripes…they’re great for tall and short peeps, not to mention it’s a great vintage pattern!
5. for the top – if wearing a solid colored skirt, maybe choose a floral pattern tube top or bustier. if the skirt has a pattern on it, i’d go with a solid color tank, tube top or t-shirt.
6. jewelry – i’m always a less is more type of girl, so i’d wear a long statement necklace or several layered necklaces. i wouldn’t get too heavy on the jewelry, but that’s just me. i like a simple look.
7. going out for the evening? switch from wedges to heels, add a belt, and throw on a cute cropped cardigan or blazer.
clearly, my ladies, i am not a pioneer…just a messenger and adoring fan of the long, flow-y skirt that hides my favorite imperfection. expect to see many this summer…and well into the fall with boots and sweaters.
okay…until next time…
blouse – anthropologie
skirt – barefoot & vintage inventory
shoes – steve madden
necklace – vintage, thrifted
legs – mom and dad (boo, hiss)